Tel: (011) 339-4911
Fax: (011) 339-5080/339-6940
Email: donald @ cosatu . org . za
For comments on the website email: email@example.com
COSATU Today | COSATU Press Alerts
Eskom must account on Medupi strikes
12 September 2012
COSATU and its affiliates are fully committed to holding lawful, peaceful and orderly marches, protest and strikes, in which all those involved obey the law and refrain from any violence, theft or damage to property; every effort is made to get this message across to all participants.
We call all the affiliates to ensure that these principles are enforced and take actions against those who refuse to comply. If union’s members are proved to have been the offenders they must be educated and be disciplined.
We call on government to address the following urgently:
1. 17,000 workers who are mostly organized under our affiliates are to be or are retrenched by the sub-contractors of Eskom in the next months.
2. The scale of the retrenchment which is the largest single retrenchment in the post apartheid South Africa.
3. The political and labour volatility in Lephalale and surrounding areas which is high.
4. The probability of controlling the violence and unrest during this retrenchments or demobilisation.
While we welcome the project which forms part of the Medupi Legacy Programme, which is intended to empower the communities of Lephalale and surroundings, our questions remain unanswered:
1. Why are you not engaging the same people you are retrenching or demobilising to work that project until the end of the year?
2. Is the yearend bonus a big question?
3. Are you still busy widening the gap between the rich and the poor?
As COSATU we call an urgent job summit to be called by ESKOM to deal with this matter.
083 750 8483
Kindly receive this important communiqué.
You are cordially invited to the COSATU meeting that is scheduled as follows:-
Venue: NUM Office (Marapong)
Date: 13th September 2012 (Thursday)
We request affiliates to encourage their secretaries and chairpersons to attend this important gathering.
Thanking you in advance
Kushca Tlhoaela, Secretary