110 Jorissen Street, Cnr Simmonds
P.O Box 1019
Tel: (011) 339-4911
Fax: (011) 339-5080/339-6940
For comments on the website email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Media Centre | COSATU Press Statements
COSATU Limpopo Province is shocked by the manner in which the case of Swart the racist was handled and concluded
6 August 2012
After Mr Swart, a famer shot and brutally killed a 14 year old and injured a 17 year old on his left hand which is now paralysed, is now a free man.
On the 1st of August 2012 Mr Swart appeared at Groblersdal Regional Court facing five charges of murder, attempted murder and three account of assault with intention to course grievous bodily harm. We noted that the accused was given a free bail for the last three assault cases while he was on already on R500.00 bail for murder and attempted murder.
As opposed to our understanding and expectations as the Federation, family of victims, community and public at large that there will be another appearance, we learned with dismay that it was the final one. The court was informed of a settlement between families and the accused of which the affected families totally denied.
Surprisingly, the investigating officer demanded the banking details from both victimís families just few minutes before the court proceedings on the 1st August 2012.
The judgement stood as follows:
1. The accused was given a mere five years suspended sentence
2. That R75 000.00 be paid to the parents of the deceased and R25 000.00 to the family of the injured.
COSATU Elias Motsoaledi Local will embark on the following programme:
- That the case be reviewed with immediate effect
- That the investigating officer, the magistrate and the prosecutor be investigated
- Rolling mass action in a form of District marches, pickets and demonstrations until justice prevails
For more details contact:
COSATU Limpopo provincial Secretary, Dan Sebabi, 082 779 2421 or Matenche Tshepo at 082 963 1371