Tel: (011) 339-4911
Fax: (011) 339-5080/339-6940
Email: donald @ cosatu . org . za
For comments on the website email: email@example.com
COSATU North West will celebrate Mandela Day by fighting Gender Based Violence
COSATU North West together working with stakeholders and progressive civil society is busy remembering the struggle icon Madiba and celebrating Mandela Day by visiting many families that are victims of gender based violence. We have already visited the family of Ms Nombuyiselo Nombewu a 15 year old girl, who was brutally killed and burned during mother's day at Jouberton Location. The meeting was part of our program of Mandela Day and the fight against Gender Based Violence (GBV).
We will be spending our 67 minutes on Mandela Day as follow on the 18 July 2017.
- We will be helping the Family of 15 year old Nombuyiselo Nombewu to renovate and extend their RDP house at Extension 7 West, Jouberton Location.
- We have interacted with social development particularly social workers to come and provide counselling for both the Grandmother and deceased siblings on that day
- We also visited the 123 year old Johanna Mazibuko at extension 22 in Jouberton and commit to give her TV and stove as some of the things ,she has been promised in her life.
- We will again visit the 74 year old women who we previously assisted, when a farmer wanted to evict her and the kids after the husband had died. We shall work with other stakeholders to provide a Jojo water tank to her since there is no water in her area.
- We have already provided food parcels for destitute families of 14 dismissed farm workers at Ventersdorp.We have prevented the farmer to evict them and currently representing them on their case at CCMA.
- We have intervened and assisted in partnership with Mayor of Greater Taung a 94 year old women Maggy Kgautle of Motsweding with building her a five roomed house with furniture ,which has been handed to her last week Thursday.
Cosatu will continue with its program of Gender Based Violence program of action post the Mandela Day as a build up for picketing at Klerksdorp magistrate court on the 31 July 2017, when the suspect who is involved in the killing of the 15 year's Nombuiselo Nombewu appears in court. We are also planning a massive Provincial march on Gender Based Violence scheduled for the 09 August 2017 at Klerksdorp. We will further have an activity on the 28 July 2017 at Reagile Primary school at Ventersdorp Farms wherein will be providing kids with sanitary towel and uniforms.
We therefore urge community members to join us on all those programmes to restore dignity of our people particularly disadvantaged ones.
For more information contact:
COSATU North West Provincial Secretary
Cell: 082 463 1840/ 071 489 1384